Saturday, January 21, 2017

Guest Speaker - Eric

In the words of Joseph Campbell, “We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.” That pretty much defines entrepreneurship for me and that may also be true for the guest speaker, Eric, who attended our class to tell us a bit about his life went in that direction. It all began for him with writing a novel in 8th grade, then really took off when he was brought on as the director of the grand cinema for the purpose of running it, increasing fundraising, and increasing special programming. Basically he gave it a face lift. He also went into how he was involved in a joke website and a few other prospects he tried out, but I lesson I took from his stories was as he mentioned halfway through his talk. In his own words he said, “Each job is time for money.”

His words really spoke to me. Though it wasn’t because it was a magnificent unveiling that awoke anything in me or anything like that. I also have a few mentors who live in such a way and show me the in-and-outs of entrepreneurship. Hearing it from someone else’s mouth just cements it more in my mind that it really is what I want to achieve greater freedom in the future. I also greatly agree with his comment on how, “The skill of running a business isn’t the same as what business is.” The biggest change is in the mindset of how it all works and most of us are programmed earlier on that you either win or lose, but it should be that you either win or learn. That is what I believe anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment